Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wiffleball and Grace

I have known my entire life that I am less than graceful. I spent an entire week at cheer leading camp in the 9th grade trying to do a cart wheel. I must have extra gravity as I really like being close to the ground. I am constantly tripping over my feet, falling down the stairs, bumping into walls. I even have to be careful how high a heel I wear so I don't fall off it. Such has been my life.

Last week for YM/YW combined activity we played wiffleball inside the cultural hall. Being competitive and "less than graceful" don't mix well. Especially on a floor so slippery it could be used as an ice skating rink. I watched carefully to see how to hit the ball so I could get on base. Finally it was my turn and I was excited because I had a plan to outsmart the other team. I hit the ball straight down so it would bounce around and give me a chance to run to first. That was my first mistake as I am not exactly moving at lighting speed these days. After my great hit, I put my head down and was off to first base. After a few steps as I pushed off to get myself really moving, my foot slipped which propelled me forward. I tried to catch up to my fall but could not get my fatness moving fast enough to catch up. I was running with my arms out in front of me and all the YW thought I was trying to slide into first base (just 20 ft early). I landed face first on the gym floor, whacking my brow bone. It was a good thing my knees, elbows, shoulders and knuckles all hit the floor first to break up my fall or it could have been really bad.

After a late night visit to the ER for some stitches and a never ending headache all is well. However, Mr.McDreamy's reality check was not so pleasant. He asked me when I was going to stop acting like a 20 year old. A 20 year old???? What about a 12 or 2 year old like it used to be. Facing reality is not pretty, especially with stitches and a slightly black eye.

2 comments:

Jana said...

UUGGGHHH!!!!

What happened to "we Sanders girls don't exercise or eat green things"?? That is quite the way to give a memorable twist to the evening!

We are so related!

hiphipporay said...

I can't help but comment on your pupil! Can you say concussion?? Look at that pupil! That is not good! Tell that person to put down the camera phone and take you to the ER!