Monday, March 31, 2008

My BOY is a "STATE"





AND THE WINNER is.......AUSTIN GIBBS & THE STATES! Wow what a weekend this has been. Rob's band was in the Tempe Music Festival Garage Band competition. It has been going on for the past several weeks. They have had several performances and have done some promotional spots for the news. It has been quite a ride for them. Yesterday they played on the "garage band" stage at 5:00. They did great! Around 6:00 they announced the winner of the high school division and then the college division. We all went nuts when they announced his band. They immediately took the band and all of us "with the band" to get ready to go on stage. We all got backstage passes for the show. The college band was going to open for Fergie and the high school band, The Gin Blossoms but after the winners were announced they switched the order to better match the style of the band. I was so nervous for them but they were all just livin' the dream. We quickly called Cameron, Cecia, Scott & Angi and told them to come quick to see this. (The Festival is huge, projections were they sold 24,000-25,000 tickets.) They played two songs, the first with Rob playing harmonica, which is my favorite because it features him. The crowd loved them, the energy was unbelievable and of course they gave a fabulous performance. Congratulations Rob, Marshall, Austin, Kody, Loren & Johnny! I think this ride is going somewhere, but for now kick back and enjoy the moment. (I'll post more photos when I get them. I followed the rules and didn't take a camera with me, go figure.) The band won $1000 scholarship, $2500 in Fender Guitar equipment, $500 Dillards gift certificate.

This song was taped at a previous show a few weeks ago.

9 comments:

BananabootsRN said...

Yay Robbie!!! Time to start selling the Cd's to the family!! My family hasn't really gotten into the whole blog thing. Aubrynn has one, but it's private. Nobody else except me :(

hiphipporay said...

What's the difference between a groupie and a roadie? Once I figure that out I want in! And to think I can say I knew him when he ate green boo-boos and played Ghostbusters. I have GOT to find that video of him singing Man of Constant Sorrow. It could be worth some Gs. ;) I'm so excited for all of you. I'm not surprised. I knew u were talented way back when I heard u sing O Holy Night operatic style. And I'm serious. This is CRAAZAAZY! I'm thrilled for u!

The Bob's Blog said...

I too remember when you sang "O Holy Night" opera style. What a guy!! Who would have thought I would have a "Rock Star" for a gr son. We are proud of you. Only wish you guys played real music! But go for it you can have a real career. Just remember who you are and what you are. And don't forget you get the police badges if you behave yourself.
Grampa Bob

hiphipporay said...

Sorry - Had to comment again after seeing the video. I LOVE IT! This song is my favorite so far. I'm sitting in a kindergarten classroom rocking out at my desk. This music is seriously SICK says this hipster doofus!

Susan said...

Hey Shari---I'm so excited to see you finally started blogging!! Congratulations Robbie, he looks like he is on the way to stardom. We love Robbie, I can't wait to tell Mark he gets home this afternoon, he will be so excited too. Jack & Kellie went and heard them last week---and they were blown away! We had so much fun in San Felipe, loved your pictures. You need to check out my song, I think you and Mike will get a kick out of it! Love you guys!

Jana said...

Hey yeah, when does family get in on the free CDs???? And by the way, I do realize this isn't that hard of rock music despite my comments on my blog!!! I don't want them to be misinterpreted for disapproval! We love it and have been talking about it for the past couple of days!

Unknown said...

Shari, we are so excited for all of you!! Tell Robbie congratulations - we want to buy a CD. I knew Robbie when he performed a drum solo in the Fifth Grade Music program which did include music from all the "states". I have him on video -should I send it to you? I'd like to see the other videos, too!! I can't wait to tell the family! Congratulations!

Peifer Family said...

Shari Baby! What a nice surprise on my email this morning to find that you have a blog. I'll send you an invite to ours today! So exciting for Robbie...a star is born...WOW! I hope you guys are doing well. It will be fun to be able to see what you guys are up to now with the BLOG! See you soon...Karen

Jana said...

In response to your comment on my blog - thank you by the way - you are certainly not the first person to tell me that!!!

WHA HA HA!!!!

Hope the shower was nice!